09 April 2010

Review: Sing Me To Sleep By: Angela Morrison

Title: Sing Me To Sleep
Author: Angela Morrison
Publisher: Razorbill, 320 Pages (March 4, 2010)
From: Amazon

Synopsis: THE TRANSFORMATION

Beth has always been “The Beast”—that’s what everyone at school calls her because of her awkward height, facial scars, and thick glasses. Beth’s only friend is geeky, golden-haired Scott. That is, until she’s selected to be her choir’s soprano soloist, and receives the makeover that will change her life forever.

THE LOVE AFFAIR

When Beth’s choir travels to Switzerland, she meets Derek: pale, brooding, totally dreamy. Derek’s untethered passion—for music, and for Beth—leaves her breathless. Because in Derek’s eyes? She’s not The Beast, she’s The Beauty.

THE IMPOSSIBLE CHOICE

When Beth comes home, Scott, her best friend in the world, makes a confession that leaves her completely torn. Should she stand by sweet, steady Scott or follow the dangerous, intense new feelings she has for Derek?

THE HEARTBREAK

The closer Beth gets to Derek, the further away he seems. Then Beth discovers that Derek’s been hiding a dark secret from her …one that could shatter everything.

Review: 3 Stars - First off, let me just say that I’d been wanting to read this book since I first heard about it last year. The idea for the story sounded amazing. It’s been at the top of my wish list for awhile. I mean the cover is amazingly beautiful, I love this cover. I’ve heard nothing but great things about Morrison’s previous book – Taken By Storm (which I just ordered and received from Amazon a couple days ago and can’t wait to read) so I knew I’d want to read Sing Me to Sleep pretty much right when it arrived here.

Our main character Beth – I understood her and got why she felt the way that she did about everyone around her and how she was treated, but at one point enough was enough with how much of a downer she was. Even when things picked up in her life she continued to whine. It grated on me; I wanted nothing more for it to stop.

The makeover for her was interesting. After she got use to things it seemed Beth as a person started to change a bit. It was hard for her to do, that was conveyed well throughout. I just wish we would have heard more about her thoughts as the actual makeover was happening. Most of what we heard from her was after it had happened and she was talking things over with her – well only real friend Scott.

Speaking of Scott – you can tell he wants to be more then friends with her early on (pre makeover), but she couldn’t see it through all her self worth issues. Scott was a hero to me then but that changed quickly when he kept pushing himself and a relationship with Beth even when she was with Derek.

It was great to finally get to see who Beth was when we meet Derek. It felt like Beth shined more when she was with him, letting her escape from her doom and gloom. The story in the last few chapters was what made the book. I had an idea that something like it was coming and no, I won’t tell you to spoil it. It didn’t make it any less emotional and to finally see Beth see herself as the person she really is and not just the one others made her out to be - was great. It’s sad how it all finally happened, but I’m glad that it happened nonetheless.

I haven’t mentioned much about Derek, so I’ll take a minute to tell you that he was the bright spot not only for Beth, but for me in this book. It seemed like he turned things around for me as a reader. I mean it felt like the whole thing shifted somewhat when Derek was in the story. Even in the few last few hard to read chapters, it all made me come to realize that what made Sing Me To Sleep, was Derek. It’s one of the reasons why I gave this book the rating that I did.

In the end, I look forward to reading Taken by Storm and to see what else Morrison has in store for us next. This book might not have been a favorite of mine (and it’s far from the worst I’ve ever read – it won’t keep me from reading more from this author in the future), but don’t let my words discourage you from reading.

FTC Disclaimer: I DID pay for this book and have NOT been compensated at all in any way or means for reading and writing this review.

Find the Author

Follow me on Twitter     /     Be friends with me on Goodreads
Subscribe to my RSS Feed

2 comments:

  1. I liked this book quite a lot...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read this one and agree with your review. I liked Derek too but this book didn't wow me either.

    ReplyDelete

Comment and let me know your thoughts on this post.

Twitter Goodreads Email

Recently Read


Blog Archive

Search the Blog!

Learn more about RAK

Book Soulmates
Xpresso Book Tours

Total Pageviews

Copyright

FTC Disclaimer:

In accordance with FTC Guidelines, I have not received any monetary gain for any information posted within the pages of this website/blog. Any and all information has been provided by the publisher, author and or publicist for free. Content is also based on purchases made by myself or of my guest reviewer(s). Any and all opinions expressed within the pages of this website/blog are solely my own or those of the authors of any and all guest reviewers(s) or guest bloggers.



Related Posts with Thumbnails

About Me

Hi, I’m Lisa and I'm a proud bibliophile.

I enjoy reading and reviewing a variety of different books within the Young Adult, "New Adult" & Adult genres/categories. If you have any questions or if you are an author or publisher and would be interested in promoting a book, please feel free email. You can find my email under the "mail" button or under the contact link at the top of the page.

I look forward to hearing from you!


Authors, Publishers & Publicists

Have a book you'd like me to review or Promote? How about doing an Author Interview? Or maybe a Guest Post? Great! I'd love to! For more information about having your book reviewed here, please follow this link for more information:

Reviews, Interviews, Guest Posts and Contest.

Guest Reviewer Jenny

Guest Reviewer Jenny
Click for info & links to her reviews!

My Ratings

When I review I rate from 1 to 5 stars, 5 being the highest rating. I review based on many different things from the writing, to the story - to the characters and how I can relate to them or how they are developed. I also review based on if an author has worked their magic and was able to draw me into a story so deeply that I don't want to put the book down. If you would like me to review a book, please contact me or view my Contact Information and Review Policy for further details.

5 Stars - I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it!
4 Stars - I Really liked/Loved it.
3 Stars - I liked it/Was pretty good.
2 Stars - It was, eh okay.
1 Star - It just wasn't for me.

Followers

Follow the Blog

Follow on Bloglovin

Follow By Email

Enter your email address:

Grab Me!

Blogs I Love