18 July 2012

Title: Obsidian (Lux, #1)
Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Publisher: Entangled Publishing, 266 Pages (December 6th, 2011)
From: Purchased from Amazon
Format: Paperback

Synopsis: Starting over sucks.

When we moved to West Virginia right before my senior year, I’d pretty much resigned myself to thick accents, dodgy internet access, and a whole lot of boring…. until I spotted my hot neighbor, with his looming height and eerie green eyes. Things were looking up.

And then he opened his mouth.

Daemon is infuriating. Arrogant. Stab-worthy. We do not get along. At all. But when a stranger attacks me and Daemon literally freezes time with a wave of his hand, well, something…unexpected happens.

The hot alien living next door marks me.

You heard me. Alien. Turns out Daemon and his sister have a galaxy of enemies wanting to steal their abilities, and Daemon’s touch has me lit up like the Vegas Strip. The only way I’m getting out of this alive is by sticking close to Daemon until my alien mojo fades.

If I don’t kill him first, that is.

Review: 5 Stars - Obsidian is the first book in the Lux series by the incredibly talented Jennifer L. Armentrout. If you love a great story, with some twists & turns, a heroine blogger who fits the bill perfectly and a steaming hot tall drink of Alien, that is the boy next door… Then you have come to the right place. THIS series is for YOU!

When Katy and her mom move to West Virginia, it’s the last thing she wants to do right before her senior year of high school. Talk about a nightmare! I get exactly why Katy would feel this way, yet she handles it pretty well, all things considered. Her house is pretty secluded with the exception of the one house next door. A few things that I quickly loved about Armentrouts heroine, she’s a book blogger. Yep, score one for Armentrout there. She’s not scared to stand up to a certain boy next door, who she defiantly holds her own against. She’s smart… she’s just all around a kick butt heroine! She puts many others to shame and I love it. She threw me for a loop more than once with how she responded to people and things. I hope one of the things that people love about the book is that they can see she is real, honest and smart. Yep, loved her!

And then we have the next door neighbors – Dee & Daemon Black, sister and brother. A bit on the mysterious side, yet Katy see’s right through down to Daemon’s true colors after their first encounter. LOVED how she saw through him, even with his amazing looks. He’s such a jerk, he’s currently the face you’d see when you look in a dictionary for the word arrogant. Yep, he’s got that down pat. The chemistry between these two is there, however it’s far from hearts and flowers, which is part of the story that I loved. I’m not a reader who’s a fan of insta-love and these two for sure fight from beginning to end. Even with the entire not-so-nice guy that Daemon is, I couldn’t help but melt for this guy. What is it about him, and the jerk that he is that makes girls swoon? The only thing I could guess is that sometimes to me, if felt like he wasn’t into being as arrogant as it comes across. He has a lot to lose and wears his bitterness like armor. And maybe those green eyes just get me every time?

And I can’t forget to mention Dee! She ends up being Katy’s best friend and while I found her to be a bit over the top, I liked the contrast between her and Daemon and I liked the support she ended up giving to Katy with everything that ends up happening throughout the story.

There’s a sci-fi theme with this series, which would be aliens. Good would be the Luxen and evil would be the Arum. They’ve been fighting for years and they have brought the fight to earth, unbeknownst to the humans. I loved Armentrouts version of aliens and I was utterly absorbed from the first page to the last.

All in all, Armentrout has become one of my favorite “go-to” authors. I have a few that I’ll read anything they’ll write and she’s won that title after the first book I’ve read by her – Half-Blood. She’s amazing at what she does. She knows how to write some pretty amazing characters and fits them into an equally amazing world. Keep writing Jennifer and we will continue to covet. I HIGHLY recommend anything by this author and you should defiantly be reading.


FTC Disclaimer: I DID pay for this book, and have NOT been compensated at all in any way or means for reading this book and or writing this HONEST review.

Find the Author

Follow me on Twitter     /     Be friends with me on Goodreads
Subscribe to my RSS Feed

3 comments:

  1. I know!° I am also a big fan of Jennifer! Love everything she writes, just love it! Obsidian was fanfreaking amazing!!! I just LOVE Daemon.. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cannot wait for the sequel of this one :)

    Krazyyme @ Young Readers

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review and I agree. JLA IS my favorite author for sure.

    Valerie

    ReplyDelete

Comment and let me know your thoughts on this post.

Twitter Goodreads Email

Recently Read


Blog Archive

Search the Blog!

Learn more about RAK

Book Soulmates
Xpresso Book Tours

Total Pageviews

Copyright

FTC Disclaimer:

In accordance with FTC Guidelines, I have not received any monetary gain for any information posted within the pages of this website/blog. Any and all information has been provided by the publisher, author and or publicist for free. Content is also based on purchases made by myself or of my guest reviewer(s). Any and all opinions expressed within the pages of this website/blog are solely my own or those of the authors of any and all guest reviewers(s) or guest bloggers.



Related Posts with Thumbnails

About Me

Hi, I’m Lisa and I'm a proud bibliophile.

I enjoy reading and reviewing a variety of different books within the Young Adult, "New Adult" & Adult genres/categories. If you have any questions or if you are an author or publisher and would be interested in promoting a book, please feel free email. You can find my email under the "mail" button or under the contact link at the top of the page.

I look forward to hearing from you!


Authors, Publishers & Publicists

Have a book you'd like me to review or Promote? How about doing an Author Interview? Or maybe a Guest Post? Great! I'd love to! For more information about having your book reviewed here, please follow this link for more information:

Reviews, Interviews, Guest Posts and Contest.

Guest Reviewer Jenny

Guest Reviewer Jenny
Click for info & links to her reviews!

My Ratings

When I review I rate from 1 to 5 stars, 5 being the highest rating. I review based on many different things from the writing, to the story - to the characters and how I can relate to them or how they are developed. I also review based on if an author has worked their magic and was able to draw me into a story so deeply that I don't want to put the book down. If you would like me to review a book, please contact me or view my Contact Information and Review Policy for further details.

5 Stars - I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it!
4 Stars - I Really liked/Loved it.
3 Stars - I liked it/Was pretty good.
2 Stars - It was, eh okay.
1 Star - It just wasn't for me.

Followers

Follow the Blog

Follow on Bloglovin

Follow By Email

Enter your email address:

Grab Me!

Blogs I Love