17 October 2012

Review: Stitch By: Samantha Durante

Title: Stitch (Stitch Trilogy #1)
Author: Samantha Durante
Publisher: 314 Pages (August 1st, 2012)
From: the Author
Format: eBook
Add to: Goodreads

Synopsis: Her heart races, her muscles coil, and every impulse in Alessa's body screams at her to run... but yet she's powerless to move.

Still struggling to find her footing after the sudden death of her parents, the last thing college freshman Alessa has the strength to deal with is the inexplicable visceral pull drawing her to a handsome ghostly presence. In between grappling with exams and sorority soirees - and disturbing recurring dreams of being captive in a futuristic prison hell - Alessa is determined to unravel the mystery of the apparition who leaves her breathless. But the terrifying secret she uncovers will find her groping desperately through her nightmares for answers.

Because what Alessa hasn't figured out yet is that she's not really a student, the object of her obsession is no ghost, and her sneaking suspicions that something sinister is lurking behind the walls of her university's idyllic campus are only just scratching the surface...

The opening installment in a twist-laden trilogy, Stitch spans the genres of paranormal romance and dystopian sci-fi to explore the challenges of a society in transition, where morality, vision, and pragmatism collide leaving the average citizen to suffer the results.

Review: 3 Stars - Stitch, the first title in the trilogy with the same name by author Samantha Durante is a big story in a small package. The title is the first from the author and weaves an epic tale built on power, lies and what side you are forced to be a part of.

Alessa’s a college student who’s somewhat lost within her life and that of a freshman on campus, trying to find her way in life and at school after the tragic death of her parents. She lives in a sorority house and tends to keep to herself. She’s a good student with one close friend and wants nothing more than to get through her classes and continue to heal. However her life takes a different turn when she starts to have the ghost of a boy from the past visit her.

The story is told from somewhat alternating points of view between the two characters. The writing is very detailed and descriptive, which was somewhat distracting to me. I really enjoyed reading about the characters and what they were going through and in the end fighting for, however I think I would have been able to give the book more than 3 stars if I wasn’t taken out of the story as often as I was because of how descriptive even the little things were. Being descriptive isn’t a bad thing, but there is a point when it can get to be a bit much. And I really HATE to say these things, because over all I really liked the story and where Durante was taking her characters.

The twists and the overall bigger picture that the characters are facing all came together in the second half of the book. For me, the second half of the story really picked up and was exciting to say the least.

Durante’s imagination is without a doubt never ending, which is fascinating because of how much she was able to weave together in her first novel. She gives us a lot to think about with what’s to come for her characters and the story. While the ending might have been a bit of a cliffhanger, she doesn’t leave the reader gasping for what’s yet to come. In my opinion there’s enough closure for the reader to feel satisfied yet eager to know what’s going to happen next.

All in all, Stitch takes the paranormal genre to a heightened level. With the additional aspects of dystopian and even a bit sci-fi added in, there are enough twists and turns to give anyone a thrilling adventurous even a touch romantic read. If you are a fan of what I just mentioned then you’ll enjoy the story and characters too. I’m happy that I had a chance to read this title when I did and I’m looking forward to the next title in the Stitch trilogy to follow.


FTC Disclaimer: I did NOT pay for this book, nor have I been compensated at all in any way or means for reading and writing this HONEST review.

Find the Author

Follow me on Twitter     /     Be friends with me on Goodreads
Subscribe to my RSS Feed

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment and let me know your thoughts on this post.

Twitter Goodreads Email

Recently Read


Blog Archive

Search the Blog!

Learn more about RAK

Book Soulmates
Xpresso Book Tours

Total Pageviews

Copyright

FTC Disclaimer:

In accordance with FTC Guidelines, I have not received any monetary gain for any information posted within the pages of this website/blog. Any and all information has been provided by the publisher, author and or publicist for free. Content is also based on purchases made by myself or of my guest reviewer(s). Any and all opinions expressed within the pages of this website/blog are solely my own or those of the authors of any and all guest reviewers(s) or guest bloggers.



Related Posts with Thumbnails

About Me

Hi, I’m Lisa and I'm a proud bibliophile.

I enjoy reading and reviewing a variety of different books within the Young Adult, "New Adult" & Adult genres/categories. If you have any questions or if you are an author or publisher and would be interested in promoting a book, please feel free email. You can find my email under the "mail" button or under the contact link at the top of the page.

I look forward to hearing from you!


Authors, Publishers & Publicists

Have a book you'd like me to review or Promote? How about doing an Author Interview? Or maybe a Guest Post? Great! I'd love to! For more information about having your book reviewed here, please follow this link for more information:

Reviews, Interviews, Guest Posts and Contest.

Guest Reviewer Jenny

Guest Reviewer Jenny
Click for info & links to her reviews!

My Ratings

When I review I rate from 1 to 5 stars, 5 being the highest rating. I review based on many different things from the writing, to the story - to the characters and how I can relate to them or how they are developed. I also review based on if an author has worked their magic and was able to draw me into a story so deeply that I don't want to put the book down. If you would like me to review a book, please contact me or view my Contact Information and Review Policy for further details.

5 Stars - I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it!
4 Stars - I Really liked/Loved it.
3 Stars - I liked it/Was pretty good.
2 Stars - It was, eh okay.
1 Star - It just wasn't for me.

Followers

Follow the Blog

Follow on Bloglovin

Follow By Email

Enter your email address:

Grab Me!

Blogs I Love